Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Why do most black women think that their natural hair texture is ugly?

Because we were taught to think that way by our mothers and their mothers and their mothers and so on and so on and so on.........





I have the only kinky head on both sides of my family for six generations back. My mother, who has very soft, fine, curly hair, has always relaxed AND pressed her hair because she thinks that everyone's hair is supposed to be stick-straight. My mother started relaxing and pressing my hair when I was THREE years old. The whole time I was growing up, my mother used to complain about how kinky and nappy my hair was (it really isn't that kinky) and how badly it needed to be straightend all the time. All of the aunts used join in about how horrible my hair was. When I buzzed my hair really short to cut the relaxer out in college, the first thing my mom said was ';you need to put a relaxer in it';. A few years ago when I got really sick and my hair fell out from all the medication, I buzzed it really really short and stopped straightening it. My mom said ';why don't you put a relaxer in it?';. Sigh......





If I could go back in time and do it all over again, I would NEVER EVER straighten my hair. My hair grows really long and so fast I can't keep up with it. Times that I haven't put chemicals in it and have just left it alone, it has gone way down my back. And has been MUCH healthier.Why do most black women think that their natural hair texture is ugly?
. What does having a choice in the way we wear our hair have anything to do with self-hatred? How boring and tired is that? I, for one have kinky hair. It was permed some 5 months ago. Mostly washed out and new growth is always coming in. There are not a lot of styles I can do with my hair right now, only to put it in a ponytail. If I don't treat my hair with a perm, when I comb it my hair breaks off really bad. Now , we do have to admit that the texture of our hair is not as strong as other cultures. In my opnion it is thinner and will snap easily. So to straighten it put some pressure off while combing and brushing. And can create more styles. So, how is that self-hatred. Fortunate for us, that someone came along and developed hair products that aides in softening and gives better manageability, that keeps breakage down to a minimum. Now, black women have longer hair of their own than berfore.Why do most black women think that their natural hair texture is ugly?
mami i don't...i'm growing out my perm now.only 2 or 3 more inches to go and i'm all natural.but i wear it straight majority of the time because the straight pieces and natural pieces together look straggly.





idk why some black women on tv or the internet be like...you need to tame that sh**.or have you ever heard of a brush..no one ever said that to me or around me.people still think i have a perm.but they better not because i'll tell that self-hating bastard off...good day
the same reason most women with curly hair want straight hair and those with straight hair want curly hair





we are never happy with what we have

No comments:

Post a Comment